San Clemente ( The Spanish Village by the Sea) was
incorporated, the need for a "Fire House" was realized.
The headlines in San Clemente’s first newspaper, "El
Heraldo de San Clemente" June, 1928 read: "Building to
house local fire department will be constructed by popular
subscription and turned over to the city when completed!"
Individual subscriptions were received in the amounts from
$6.00 to $1500.00 from the local citizenry.
On August 27th, 1928, the
first fire house and city jail were erected on these
premises. Later, the blacksmith shop was added, as well as
the warehouse and maintenance shops. The municipal
facilities were used until 1962, when a new civic center
was built. These premises were continued to be utilized as
a city maintenance yard until 1974.
The Old City Plaza today is
home to a host of small shops, as well as Bootleggers
Grill & Speakeasy.